About us: Praxis is a charity for migrants and refugees. Our direct services support people in London, and our training and campaign work has national and international impact. Our core purpose is to help migrants in crisis or at risk, ensuring they can live in safety, overcome the barriers they face, and take control of their own destinies.
From our east London base, we strive for a world where people are not defined by their immigration status, and everyone is treated with dignity and respect.
Purpose of the role:
This role will provide immigration assessments, advice and casework to people sleeping rough or at risk of sleeping rough in East London as part of Street Legal East, a project led by Praxis in partnership with RAMFEL and Tower Hamlets Law Centre.
This is a project working with East London Local Authority homelessness teams and homelessness organisations, including St Mungo’s No Second Night Out Assessment Hub in Tower hamlets, where the team will be partially based.
Advice will be provided for people rough sleeping or at risk of rough sleeping with a wide range of immigration advice and support needs. Partner organisations and referral agencies will work closely together to ensure that the client journey is as streamlined as possible, creating a sense of continuity across various specialist areas of advice provided through the partnership. The service will be delivered through homelessness hubs, outreach visits and where appropriate remotely.
Led by the Project Manager and as part of a team of four immigration advisors, the post holder will provide advice in homelessness hubs, outreach visits and where appropriate remotely via phone or video link. The work will require a high level of engagement with partner organisations to maximise support for service users.
The post holder will need to be able to step immediately into a busy advice environment with the necessary confidence, skills and knowledge to deliver specialist advice, casework and support with minimal supervision.
Reports to Street Legal East Project Manager working alongside 2/3 other advisors and working closely with advice colleagues across Praxis advice services. Close working relationships with organisations and referral agencies across the Project. Support and supervision for volunteers allocated to the project.
• Provide one-to-one specialist advice (including immigration advice to OISC L2) and support to people rough sleeping/ at risk of rough sleeping with immigration issues;
• Provide thorough follow-up casework (including immigration casework) and support where appropriate;
• Manage own caseload, keeping clear, accurate and timely records of all work done;
• Provide appropriate signposting, referrals and active referrals where possible and appropriate;
• Proactively develop and build close partnership working with other frontline staff working for organisations across the Street Legal East partnership;
• Use pathways and approaches developed through the project to effectively engage with people sleeping rough in need of support;
• Provide outreach visits and satellite clinics while making full use of a range of technology to engage with clients remotely,
• Attend and contribute to relevant fora and networks (virtual and actual) as necessary.
• To develop and deliver training to partner organisations and referral agencies within the project (and beyond) on barriers and risks faced by people sleeping rough experiencing immigration issues.
Casework management and monitoring
• Manage your own caseload, keeping clear, accurate and timely records of all work done;
• Work closely with the project manager on the production of reports for funders and internal reports;
• Assist in evidencing the impact of work done, including recording detailed and clear case notes on our database, monitoring outcomes against project targets;
• Contribute to the provision of management information, regular case studies and other detailed information and reports as required;
• Ensure that work is monitored and evaluated and quality assured to meet internal and external requirements;
• Carry out administrative tasks (filing, expenses, petty cash etc.) to support your own work and that of the team;
• Peer to peer casework supervision as required.
Development and participation
• Participate fully in individual supervision, training, reflective practice and appraisal;
• Attend regular team meetings and participate in other advice and staff team commitments and meetings as necessary;
• Work with colleagues in Praxis to maintain and develop our holistic approach and commitment to human rights, community development, diversity and best practice in working with vulnerable migrants;
• Attend training and share learning and good practice with other Praxis staff;
• To contribute to the development of Praxis training programme and facilitate trainings, workshops or other capacity building activities.
• Participate in Praxis’ events, away days, and contribute to publicity work, strategic development and advocacy where appropriate;
• Contribute evidence and case studies for funding applications and reports as necessary.
Working with volunteers
• Manage and supervise the casework of advice volunteers/interns (including those who are registered with OISC and require OISC supervision and file review).
Take on other duties consistent with the nature of the post and that may arise as the service develops.
Application packs can be found on the website - https://www.praxis.org.uk/immigration-advisor-street-legal-east
All applications to be returned to email@example.com
Interviews will be held 1st and 4th July 2022
(NJC 20-25, including London Weighting)