WEB 1067 Best practice and issues for migrant children in care and care leavers
Wednesday 03 February 2021 @ 10:00 am - 1:15 pm
Migrant children and young people in care can face a number of challenges and barriers. These issues can stem from a lack of knowledge and awareness as to what their rights actually are, complex immigration systems, immigration statuses and the services and support they are entitled to.
This course will cover best practice in advising children in care and care leavers on immigration, asylum and nationality matters. We will cover the care system, local authority duties, the asylum process for children, immigration routes for children in care, the EU Settlement Scheme and nationality routes.
Topics to be covered include:
• Is the child British or could they become British?
• Registration of children
• Immigration routes, including durable solutions
• The asylum process for children
• The EU Settlement Scheme
• Trafficking and modern slavery
• Options for care leavers whose immigration status is precarious