About us: Praxis is a charity for migrants and refugees. Our direct services support people in London, and our training and campaign work has national and international impact. Our core purpose is to help migrants in crisis or at risk, ensuring they can live in safety, overcome the barriers they face, and take control of their own destinies. From our east London base, we strive for a world where people are not defined by their immigration status, and everyone is treated with dignity and respect.
Purpose of the role:
Working as part of the Advice Management Team you will oversee Street Legal East, a project led by Praxis in partnership with RAMFEL and Tower Hamlets Law Centre providing immigration advice and casework to people sleeping rough or at risk of sleeping rough in East London (Barking and Dagenham, City of London, Hackney, Havering, Redbridge, Tower Hamlets and Waltham Forest). You will lead a team of up to four OISC Level 2 immigration advisors providing supervision under OISC guidelines where necessary. This is a service working with Local Authority homelessness teams and homelessness organisations, including St Mungo’s No Second Night Out in Tower Hamlets, where the team will be partially based.
Advice will be provided for people rough sleeping or at risk of rough sleeping with a wide range of immigration advice and support needs. Partner organisations and referral agencies will work closely together to ensure that the client journey is as streamlined as possible, creating a sense of continuity across various specialist areas of advice provided through the partnership. The service will be delivered through homelessness hubs, outreach visits and where appropriate remotely.
You will be expected to take a central role in promoting the service, proactively building relationships and referral pathways with Local Authority and homelessness referral teams.
You will manage performance and reporting across the partnership ensuring the project delivers on agreed targets for each Local Authority.
You will work closely with the GLA and organisations providing similar services in London and feed into the broader campaign and advocacy work in Praxis.
Reports to the Praxis Advice Services Manager, supervising up to 4FTE advisors plus volunteers. This project is part of Praxis extended Advice Services team and you will work closely with coordinators and advisors across Praxis advice services. Close working relationships with organisations and referral agencies across the partnership project.
• Partnership management, ensuring that all organisations are delivering within agreed targets.
• Development and management of relationships with Local Authorities, Homelessness teams and St Mungo’s No Second Night Out in Tower Hamlets, where Praxis will provide 1FTE provision conducting assessments which will be spread across the team.
• Coordination and monitoring of demand and referrals across the subregion, responding with promotional activities and intervention to ensure the service is being fully utilised.
• Monitoring of referrals and casework progress to Tower Hamlets Law Centre and Legal Aid providers beyond the partnership.
• Manage reporting across the partnership.
• Identify and implement access points and monitor pathways accessibility in each LA in the subregion.
• Strategic and operational planning and day to day management of the project.
• Monitoring of Home Office escalation routes working with GLA to analyse trends and ‘policy asks’ to the Home Office. Advice Quality
• Supervision, development and guidance for staff and volunteers within the OISC regulatory framework.
• Oversight of all L1 and L2 casework carried out by advisors and volunteers including oversight of all applications submitted to the Home Office.
• To remain up to date with a range of legislative and policy frameworks appropriate to the work of Praxis including immigration, human rights, social welfare and health.
• Identifying areas for strategic litigation through analysis of cases and trends. Information and Training
• To provide training and information to Local Authority and homelessness frontline staff across the partnership.
• To design and deliver training seminars for the wider voluntary and statutory sector.
• To ensure that staff and volunteers are kept up to date through regular briefings and training on key issues.
• To provide internal reports on services and contribute to fundraising as required.
• To take responsibility for the development of briefings and information in different formats appropriate to different audiences.
• To provide second tier advice and information to staff in the voluntary and statutory sector as required.
Development and participation
• Deputise for the Advice Services Manager as required
• Participate fully in individual supervision, training, reflective practice and appraisal;
• Attend regular team meetings and participate in other advice and staff team commitments and meetings as necessary;
• Work with colleagues in Praxis to maintain and develop our holistic approach and commitment to human rights, community development, diversity and best practice in working with vulnerable migrants;
• To contribute to the development of Praxis training programme and facilitate trainings, workshops or other capacity building activities.
• Participate in Praxis’ events, away days, and contribute to publicity work, strategic development and advocacy where appropriate;
• Contribute evidence and case studies for funding applications and reports as necessary.
Application packs can be found on our website https://www.praxis.org.uk/project-manager-street-legal-east
Applications should be retuned to email@example.com